Let's Talk Migration: Local and National Leaders Chat #1
Type of event
Live discussion on the power of migration narratives: Government of Canada and City of Montreal
On the sidelines of the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) for the follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda, the Mayors Mechanism and its partners, including IOM, UCLG, and MMC, are convening a “local takeover” of the It Takes a Community (ITAC) Campaign. During the next week, this takeover will, among other communications and storytelling efforts, convene a live conversation between the national Canadian government and the city of Montreal to showcase how local-national partnerships are essential for changing the narrative on migration and empowering migrants as agents of change and development in our communities.
- FRIDAY, 9 July, 11 – 11.40 EDT / 17 – 17.40 CEST
- Livestreamed @IOM Facebook
- Brought to you by the Global Forum for Migration and Development (GFMD) Mayors Mechanism
Hosted by Emilia Saiz, Secretary General UCLG with special guests:
- David Hickey, Special Advisor to the Deputy Minister, IRCC, Government of Canada
- Nadia Bastien, Director of the Office of Diversity and Social Inclusion, City of Montreal, Canada
- To access interpretation in French and English, please call-in through Zoom.
- Find more information about ITAC and the Mayors Mechanism.
You are also invited to join the conversation! Share new stories from your own context that feature mayors, city/community leaders, and/or city council members that talk about: why migration matters, how welcoming communities are often more prosperous and resilient, and how diversity makes cities and communities stronger. Follow the #Ittakesacommunity hashtag on social media, @GFMDMayors and @UNmigration on Twitter.