UN-INSTRAW Virtual Discussion: Migration, Remittances and Gender
From 31 May to 18 June the UN-INSTRAW Gender & Migration Virtual Community is hosting the
III Virtual Discussion “Migration, Remittances and Gender-Responsive Local Development.”
This discussion will be based on the UN-INSTRAW and the UNDP research findings in Albania, the Dominican Republic, Lesotho, the Philippines and Senegal. This joint research project sought to enhance gender-responsive local development by identifying and promoting options for utilizing remittances for sustainable livelihoods and for building social capital in poor rural and semi urban communities.
The virtual discussion is an excellent platform for the community’s users to network and exchange information and good practices with other professionals around the globe (at the moment, the UN-INSTRAW Virtual Community has more than 800 members from nearly 100 countries). Although the discussion will be based on UN-INSTRAW and UNDP research projects, this is an excellent opportunity for everyone to exchange ideas and practices on how to better understand the needs and motivations of migrant women and how to promote gender-sensitive development projects around the world.
• The main goals of the virtual discussion are:
- To share the UN-INSTRAW & the UNDP findings from the project “Gender & Remittances: Building Gender-Responsive Local Development
- To analyze what is needed to efficiently address and include gender into projects of migration, remittances and local development.
- To develop a document with gender-sensitive recommendations and policies for migration and development.
• The discussion will be based on UN-INSTRAW and UNDP research project “Migration, Remittances and Gender-Responsive Local Development - Case Studies: Albania, the Dominican Republic, Lesotho, the Philippines and Senegal”.
We kindly ask you to read the EXECUTIVE SUMMARIES before the beginning of the discussion. To find the executive summaries online, along with the complete research reports and fact sheets, please click on the Media Kit.
If you need a general introduction to the subject, please read these two articles published by UN-INSTRAW on Gender, Remittances and Development:
- Working Paper 4: Remittances, Amaia Pérez Orozco, Denise Paiewonsky, Santo Domingo, 2007 (text in English)
- El paradigma de remesas para el desarrollo: evidencias empíricas y cuestionamientos teóricos desde una perspectiva de género, Amaia Pérez Orozco, Mar García Orozco, Santo Domingo, 2008 (text in Spanish)
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- To participate in the virtual discussion and post a comment, you need to visit the online FORUM, click on the III Virtual Discussion and Log In (right side of the page). Click here for a direct link to LOG IN.
- If you are not a member of the Virtual Community, please click here to REGISTER. Then, visit the Forum and click on III Virtual Discussion.
- Please remember that individuals from all backgrounds and levels of expertise are invited to participate! Comments are also welcome in English, Spanish, French & Portuguese and will be translated when needed.
- Comments submitted to the virtual discussion will be published in the Forum and will be sent automatically to all members by e-mail. If you do not wish to receive these e-mails, please send an empty e-mail to email@example.com (Subject: unsubscribe) to remove your name from the mailing list. For more information, please write to Romina, the community administrator, by replying to this message.
Please, forward this message to a friend or colleague to promote the discussion. We thank you in advance for your contributions and assistance in building a vibrant discussion!