Position Title : Research and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 July 2018
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in Development Economics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in conducting participatory research and comparative studies on migration;
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience in migration management issues and proven field experience specifically in the West African context ;
• Experience of livelihood programming in west African contexts either practical or at least theoretical knowledge;
• Experience liaising with academic institutions and drafting research papers/reports;
• Experience in liaising with academic institutions, government authorities as well as with donors and other relevant migration stakeholders.
Fluency in English and French is required.
1. Design and develop Terms of Reference (TOR) to define and outline the roles and responsibilities of the academic institution that IOM will partner with to implement research and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities relevant to the project outcome focused on alternatives to irregular migration (DFID Outcome 4). The Research and Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will also be responsible for leading the relevant recruitment and selection process.
2. Design a sound methodology, in collaboration with the selected academic institution, to carry out the comparative research on the most effective livelihood approaches as an alternative to irregular migration.
3. Contribute to the development of an effective research strategy, develop plans for implementation, and support, coordinate with and provide advice to DFID focal points and IOM London on challenges and progress of the research implementation.
4. Represent IOM and participate in conferences, meetings and other fora as required.
5. Provide guidance to the IOM missions targeted by DFID Outcome 4- alternative to irregular migration, ensure consistency of approaches and quality control and conduct regular monitoring visits to the countries to ensure effective and timely implementation and to ensure appropriate coordination with national counterparts.
6. Closely liaise with M&E Officers in Regional Office (RO) Dakar and IOM London and conduct regular conference calls to provide guidance and thematic support, to advise on progress, and to discuss and resolve potential challenges.
7. Support and provide guidance to target missions in the recruitment of relevant staff to implement Outcome 4 activities.
8. Prepare and ensure the fulfillment of all reporting requirements including interim and final reports for Outcome 4.
9. Communicate and coordinate with relevant IOM units in Headquarters (HQs) and other international organizations, voluntary and governmental agencies, embassies and other entities to share information regarding activities implemented under outcome 4, and share and discuss findings.
10. Provide financial management of relevant resources, and prepare financial and other types of reports and recommendations regarding the progress of Outcome 4 activities.
11. Produce a sound research paper in close coordination with the partner academic institution summarizing the findings of the project and disseminate widely among donors, practitioners and governmental stakeholders.
12. Monitor regional news for reports relating to the issue of migrant fatalities and assist with the development of reports analysing data on fatalities along the Central Mediterranean route.
13. Record data relevant to the Missing Migrants Project on its internal database and on its publicly-accessible website.
14. Contact regional actors working on the issue of migrant fatalities in the interest of fostering long-term relationships to improve data.
15. Provide thematic support to other similar programmes of IOM with the purpose of ensuring synergies and a common approach.